Day 2: Registration for Essential Services TODAY

Ministry for Primary Industries Register for Safe Practice
– register by 5pm TODAY

With New Zealand now in Day 2 of National Alert Level 4 due to COVID-19, we are aware that many of our clients are included on the list of essential services.

The current list of key services includes (but is not limited to):

  • Livestock and primary produce transporters
  • Veterinary service providers
  • Feed/Fodder transporters
  • Feed and supplement manufacturers, processors, suppliers and stores
  • Manufacturers and distributors of animal medicines
  • Pet shops and services
  • Animal control
  • Workers caring for animals in containment
  • Rural contractors who are providing essential services that cannot be deferred over the next four weeks, especially for animal welfare purposes: (artificial insemination technicians; stock agents managing and directing stock movements; winter re-grassing for feed; fertiliser supply and application; shearing where necessary for animal welfare)
  • Fertiliser manufacture and distribution

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) now needs assurances from industries and businesses that their processes protect workers and the public by limiting interactions and reducing the potential spread of COVID-19.

If you provide an essential service, you are required to register with MPI. They will ask you 11 critical questions about how you intend to stop any spread of COVID-19.

There are a couple of simple questions operators can ask themselves before registering:

  • Do you have 5 or fewer people (including the owner) working at each business site?
  • Can you achieve social distancing measures between staff in your workplace, including travelling, to and from work?
  • If you answer YES to both of those questions, then you do not need to fill in the form
  • If you answered NO to either of these questions, you MUST fill in the form
  • If in doubt, fill in the form

You DON’T need to fill in the form if you have five or fewer people (including the owner) working at your business site and can achieve distancing between staff in your workplace including travel to and from work. This only relates to the on-farm team, not the total number in the households on the farm.

If you DO need to fill in the form, you may need a NZBN Number.

How to find your NZBN number:
If you don’t have it, go to and type your business name in the search bar. Registered businesses have been automatically assigned an NZBN. Sole traders, partnerships and trusts can apply to get one on the website.

More information and the registration process is in the following link at MPI:

You can contact MPI at 0800 00 83 33 or for further details on registering or the registration process.

We are also happy to assist should you need us at any point, email or contact your client manager directly.

We understand that these are unsettled times, and we are here to help as much as we can.

From the team at Graham Brown & Co

Kia Kaha, stay safe